Monday, January 4, 2010

Dolmama

I don't usually spend my drams on food in Yerevan, but I have had my eye for quite a bit of time on the restaurant located on Pushkin Street, Dolmama. With the family in town I took full advantage to shop the idea of enjoying a quality meal there.

We made reservations. For months I had been passing by(and memorized) the menu they keep outside, so you can imagine my surprise when we arrived, they ushered us into a lovely quasi private room in the back of the restaurant and handed us a menu which was not the one I had been checking out (which happened to be the lunch menu. Instead a hefty dinner menu landed in my hand.

Everyone was a bit upset when I just ordered the lentil soup (in my defense it is my favorite soup!) and it was tasty. There was plenty of food to go around though. In my family's true style, everything became tapas of sorts. A garlic and walnut paste wrapped in thinly sliced roasted eggplants with gems of pomegranate on top delighted the senses. Dolma was also served. Instead of ground meat, grape leaves held slices of lamb. Some at the table thought it was too tough. It was still flavorful, but we had become accustomed to tender lamb in the stews we had been eating.



The fig and nut slices as seen above were served in a creative way and embodied what the Armenians love -- dried fruits and walnuts.

Dolmama is definitely on the pricey side, but if you have the drams or a generous family, go, go, go.

1 comment: