Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Some notes on eating

True to my munching American form, a few days ago I wrote enthusiastically about the all-you-can-eat crayfish deal at Texas Bar. This got me thinking about the problems with all-you-can-eat.



Like every workday, I sat down with my office mates for lunch. Today we were served apple dolmas (think stuffed apples with tomato sauce, onions, rice, herbs, and ground meat) as well as stuffed grape leaves and a sublime cabbage salad that eludes written description. I was hungry and wanted to dig in, but everyone else was taking their time, chatting away, seeming not to notice the plates of steamy deliciousness waiting for them on the table. While I could barely restrain myself from snatching up the apple creations.

The Armenians I've come to know here never grab at food. Just because it is there, doesn't mean they have to eat it this very moment. Some of my American friends here have also pointed out that this is not only the case with palate pleasing, homemade food. It seems to apply to chocolates and other wrapped sweets that can sit for days at the center of a table with no one reaching in for first, seconds, or thirds. While I can't damn all Americans, I can honestly say for myself, if I see a cupcake lying around, it's gone.

A culture that embraces eating kamas, kamas (slowly, slowly) may help to explain why most people remain thin.

No comments:

Post a Comment