Thursday, December 31, 2009

Shnorhavor Nor Taree!

Happy New Year to everyone. My sister and brother-in-law left town yesterday and now I am getting ready to celebrate the new decade with my parents. Showing them the country has been a treat. Yerevan is all lit up with a huge Christmas tree in Republic Square and there are a lot of dressed up Santas rolling around town.



We explored Khor Vorap, Goshevank, Dilijan, as well as Echmiadzin. Most lovely was Sevanvank, a church perched up on a rocky peninsula that juts out into Lake Sevan. The picture below was taken from there.



We had some delicious meals in Yerevan filled with dolmas, lamb and plumb stews, and lots of khachapuri. Will report more on those restaurants soon.

Armenians here take New Years very seriously with lots of feasting at midnight and visiting family and friends throughout the early morning till January 6th (Armenian Christmas). I have been lucky to have my family here and am reminded by the warmth of all my Armenian relatives in the United States as well as my mom's Armenian family in Sophia and Varna.

A very happy new year to all!

1 comment:

  1. happy happy new year, in case you couldn't hear me on the phone. so bummed about the bad connection! glad you had such a great time with your fam!

    ReplyDelete