Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Swayze

I have been interested in how American news is consumed and digested in Armenia. Earlier today a co-worker tapped me on my shoulder and asked, "Did you know Patrick Swayze died?"

I did not know.

The co-worker, in his mid thirties, is an editor, a tech fiend, and a lover of taekwando. Not your average Swayze fan. After talking a bit more to folks, my sweeping generalization of the day is that it seems like everyone here is a Dirty Dancing fan.

I was saddened when Ted Kennedy passed away, my office seemed less concerned. My guess is that the relative indifference to Kennedy's death is that the Senator did not affect their lives (though he was a stalwart on Armenian issues). Swayze however did effect lives. Their is shared nostalgia for this actor. It got me thinking about how American movie stars have a universal appeal and may be (for better or for worse) our most effective diplomats of culture. Unlike our actual diplomats, these actors end up being the transcending messengers of what it is to be American.

The Dirty Dancing story, working class guy meets girl, drama ensues, is similar to many parables cutting across a large swath of cultures. Only changes -- it's a Catskill mountain resort, working class guy is a handsome blue eyed dancer, and the bad guys are a couple that share my last name.

1 comment:

  1. i didn't know you were on flickr! wooo! i have so many ways to stalk you now. if only we could figure out skype!

    ReplyDelete