Friday, September 4, 2009

Running with Dogs

So earlier this week, I decided to take a new running route. This time closer to Yerevan's sports complex that has a nice view of the city. It was about 8:30 in the morning when I met a group of four dogs. Yerevan has its share of street dogs. I usually stay clear of them, but these dogs started approaching me. I stopped and stood still with me hands at my sides (this is what I thought you were supposed to do) An old man appeared walking with more dogs (all of them street dogs) following him. One of the four dogs, the leader, started barking at me and then jumped up and bit my left butt cheek. Lovely experience as you can imagine. The old man had a stick and beat them off. And when I say old, he was a vigorous 80 years. One little dog, kept coming near me barking. I had obviously invaded their territory.

Anyway, I freaked out thinking I might have rabies. I ran back home and showered immediately. Then had the women in the office check me out, yes they got a look at my fine cheek. They could only see my irritated skin but no marks, no blood. Also, dogs with rabies rarely remain in a pack. No one thought I should go to the hospital, in fact they thought, that I would only be giving a doctor a peep show and paying him for it.

Nevertheless, paranoia go the best of me and I visited a doctor that the US Embassy has listed on its website. Not only was the doctor in his office, but it turned out, as head of the trauma unit, his office was a meeting place for other doctors. Six other doctors to be exact. The doc asked me to lie down on the couch and show me where I was bit, I ask him to ask the other doctors to leave (as you can imagine throwing up my skirt for one doctor is one thing, but six Armenian male doctors seemingly on a coffee break was another). He asked them to turn away and then examined me. As the women in my office thought, indeed, I was ok, the dog barely broke the first layer of skin, no shots were needed, but my office mates were wrong about having to pay, the visit was free of charge.

Alas, life in a new country. The incident has convinced me to get comprehensive health coverage in case of an emergency.

No comments:

Post a Comment