Thursday, October 15, 2009

World Cup Qualifier

Armenia and Turkey played a World Cup Qualifier last night in Bursa, Turkey.



Armenia lost 2-0. Armenia's President sat side by side with Turkey's. This completed a year long soccer diplomacy spearheaded by Armenia's invitation last fall to President Gul to watch a match in Yerevan (yes, unfortunately Armenia lost that one too).

I watched the game with some co-workers at a new bar in the center of the city owned by two international couples. My office mates were a bit surprised to see me shouting at the screen for Armenia's lack of offense.

Some folks here are not happy that Sargisian went..they see it as further reaffirming the protocols and are worried about what Armenians are giving up doing business with the Turkish government. I see it as following through on diplomatic efforts to re-engage. Though people are starting to tell me that I am becoming too objective. Maybe so, but I would have done anything to get on that soccer field and assist team Armenian, who, by the way, pull talent from 3 million people vs. Turkey's 70 million...I know I am making excuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment