Monday, November 9, 2009

Weekend Weddings

Armenians like to have weddings on every day of the week, but like in America, Saturday remains a popular day.



The picture was taken a few weeks ago in a moment of wedding over load. As I was walking down one of Yerevan's main streets on my right were three or four wedding groups in the park taking pictures. On my left were a series of Mercedes wedding motorcades. The motorcades usually range from six to twenty honking cars. The just newly weds are in one of the upfront cars usually with at least one car behind or in front of them with a video camera. Many times I have seen couples hanging out of the car or limo's sun roof waving away like pageant winners. These wedding modorcades follow no traffic laws and they make themselves heard by their honks well in advance of seeing them.

I explained the idea of a wedding crasher to one of the guys in my office today and mentioned (mostly jokingly) how easy it would be to follow these motorcades. He told me how there are in fact professional wedding crashers here in town. He has a few friends who wait near one of the cities main intersections for a big motorcade, start up their engine, start pounding the horn and after a few miles find themselves dancing and drinking.

1 comment:

  1. amazing. (the crashers, not the plethora of newly weds.)

    ReplyDelete